In
recent years, I’ve noticed myself writing inside my head at the end of the day,
too exhausted to find the computer keyboard. Even the task of locating my own
blog became just a tad too tedious. As the years went on, “writing” my thoughts
down inside my own head as I tried to go to sleep seemed the easier option.
Unfortunately, sometimes the side-effects were adverse, causing me to toss and
turn, and I might as well have just sat at the computer losing sleep…at least I’d
have something tangibly productive to add to my daily list.
In any
case, the writing in my head has increased, and my blog posts, sadly have
become backed up. I reread my earlier posts, my actual journal entries in REAL
journals, and I think, once upon a time I was a pretty great writer. I love
reading the stories I’ve written down about Isaiah. The stories concerning
makayah are, I dare say, even funnier, though less often published. And at the
present, my writing has become a boring list of daily events. Luckily for me,
Isaiah and makayah still find the boring daily list of events thrilling – as
long as they come complete with a slew of photographs.
It’s a
tough thing to do, writing. It used to come so naturally and the words would
pour out like melted butter, my hands too slow to write or type, my knuckles blistering
and callousing from the sheer amount of thoughts stuck inside my head that
wanted OUT. They still do, the words, I mean. But when my adorable baby mims
wants to be cuddled before she naps, and I have to rush to find popsicles for
BOTH Isaiah and makayah (because there really is no such thing as sharing
popsicles when it comes to siblings), then writing somehow gets placed on the
backburner – growing cold because, of course I’ve forgotten to turn the stove
on in the first place. Speaking of places…
As I write, I am crammed in samiyah’s makeshift bed, my head against the hard houseboat wall typing in the dark because here, it is quiet. Here, I have just a little bit of time before the baby wakes, before Isaiah and makayah find me.
And really, I find that it’s okay that I’m writing against the clock. It’s okay that my blogs have become just a quick “this is what happened today.” Because my kids will still read it, and praise the heavens – my snapshot finger has become much more efficient than my mommy brain. Besides, what’s that old saying? A picture is worth a thousand words. In that case, here is what happened today:













what a gorgeous family! i totally can relate about the journaling- although i cant claim to have ever been a great writer- but it is amazing how time flies and i too think about all im not documenting... do what you can and yes- you have beautiful pictures to remember those days!
ReplyDelete