
I guess since the blog is titled, "The Crazy Crowfoots" I should include more tidbits about my family and not have it be all about me, me, me. So in other news Isaiah has really taken a shine to heavy metal music. Now before I continue I would like to point out that I have introduced him to various genres of music and in no way shape or form have I favored one over the other. Pavoratti and Salt-N-Peppa, Bob Marley and Bob Dylan. Blacklodge singers and Blackstreet, Janice Kapp Perry and .....well actually Janice Kapp Perry was all Monika but you get the picture. As early as last year my then 2 -almost-3-year old son knew Bob Marley Songs by heart and would come into our room early in the AM and sing, "get up, stand up...stand up for your right!" However he also knows primary songs by heart and many other things......now that I think of it, he can quote movies ("Party on Wayne......), memorize story books, imitate people (me) and throw a ball like a major leaguer! Like I was saying Isaiah really loves the sound on the guitar and rhythmic beats of rock music. It all started when I was driving a few months ago and the kids in the back were screaming their heads off. I thought I would play a CD really loud and make a fun game out of trying to get them to shut up. So I reach up and grab the first CD I could get (A Knight's Tale Soundtrack) and put it in. The first song? We will Rock You by Queen. The ever famous boom, boom, clap! Boom, boom, clap! Boom, boom, clap! surged through the speakers and the kids as if discovering sweet mana from rock heaven stopped their crying and started nodding their heads to the song. I looked at Monika and she at me and we both started smiling. It was awesome. Not only did we find a way for some peace and quiet, we also found a way for us to enjoy the time in the car as well. Upon this discovery I being who I am and never the type to kill a party started whaling away on my air guitar. Isaiah and Makayah loved it! He picked his up as well and started jamming to the music. Although he has not been practicing as long as I have he was still pretty good. A natural I dare say. So sweet was the moment of driving to the store, windows down and my son in the back rocking out to We will Rock You. I was proud as could be. Well the song came and went and the kids wanted more, and more, and more and more. They have listened to that song so much that they wore the CD out! So some time goes by and I am sitting in front of Itunes at our house listening to music and Isaiah comes up to me and says, "Daddy, I want a CD." So I reply, "Sure, what do you want?" He replied. "This one that goes.....boom boom clap, boom boom clap and I AM IRON MAN!!!!! DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DA NA NA NA NA....." you get the idea. So I sat him down on my lap and picked at random some songs I though he would like. I tried to turn him on to some of the classics you know, Biggie, 2pac (all clean of course) and others but Isaiah was not having it. All he would say is "Dad, just turn it off," or "play a good one now." Trying to please his inner rock god I scrolled down my 3 thousand or so song list and Isaiah would only stop me at the songs with either a hard steady beat or whaling guitar solo. And it was not just any rock song either that caught his ear. He is very particular, a pre-school connoisseur in Spiderman undies and mismatching socks. He liked Black Sabbath's Iron Man, but none of Guns and Roses. He loved Led Zeppelin's Immigrant song but not Rage's Bulls on Parade. He wanted AC/DC's Thunderstruck but not Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion. It was if he was sampling all 31 ice cream flavors before committing to a cone of HARD ROCK-Y Road. I was in awe as I watched him listen to the first 30 seconds or so and then either give me a nod or shake of the head as he deemed what was worthy of his 3 year old ears. The kicker were his eyes as he was thinking, "yeah this is good" or "turn this crap off" I could see the little wheels turning away as he concentrated. He was in top form. At last the playlist came to an end and we had about 16 songs or so, not all rock, but most. In the end he had chosen about 12 rock songs, 3 or 4 techno songs and some from the Curious George soundtrack, go figure? Having obtained his approval I inserted a CD into the mac and with a buzz and some whirring our future memories started to form. If I die a young death, let it be known to my children that I was a cool dad. Not just a father who lets his kids do whatever the heck they want, but someone who offered them guidelines and showed them all I could about the world and everything good in it. Now I am 100% positive there are those out there who are thinking that I am a terrible father who lets his kids listen to devil music, drink coke and eat nothing but candy. And truth is not too far from the accusations, however there is much more to the Crowfoots than all that. I love my kids. I cherish my kids and I teach them the gospel. I spend time with them and the time I spend is doing something we can build a mutual appreciation of for years to come. Music, sports, camping, movies (kid ones, not the Godfather), books (Recess Queen anyone?) family history (I just bought books about Chief Crowfoot for the kids when they get older) and yes even the scriptures. They know about Jesus, Nephi, Ammon (not the uncle, the prophet) and all the others with cool stories. They also have their classical music CD's, and lullaby and preschool mixes as well. However now they have something a little more appropriate that they can crank up and wail away on air guitar as they jump off the couches and furniture with their dad playing to thousands of screaming imaginary fans, and you know what? Somehow Barney songs just don't quite have the same effect.
No comments:
Post a Comment