August 17, 2007

Helpless to the moment

My son, my son, my son. Could he have any more personality? His latest thing is learning parts of the body, ALL parts of the body and lately he has noticed that he and his sister are not built the same. This revelation came when my wife was changing my daughter and he peeked over her shoulder and asked. "Where is her...(you know)?" Although a bit shocked at this question my wife replied, "she does not have one, she is a girl. She has lady parts." Without missing a beat my son then asked, "Did hers fall off?" My wife kindly explained a little bit more and that was that, no harm no foul just a warning that he is picking up on EVERYTHING that is going on around him. So the other day my son and I are on our way out for a boys night out. I was getting him ready to leave and asked, "Are you ready?" He replied, "Yup. Got my shoes and I got my..." Catching me off guard, I said, "Oh good, I'm glad." He then asked, "Daddy do you got yours?" Reflexively I replied, "Yes I do son." He just looked up at me and smiled his cheesy grin (see picture) and we got in the car and left. It took sometime to adjust to that experience. I could not believe it. It was one of those rare moments as a father where you know that eventually sometime subjects like these are going to come up and you try to prepare for them the best you can, however no matter how hard you try, when they arise you find yourself helpless to the moment. This was one of those times. I was helpless to the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment