August 14, 2007

Un-balanced

I was sitting back the other day listening to the Cd by Tha Tribe (pow wow music) and the opening track on it was talking about balancing the old traditional ways with the new. I got to thinking that I am mostly new, nothing about me is traditional or old. I do not speak the language, I do not sing, dance, or hunt...I feel like a city Indian. I am a city Indian. My wife at least understands her language, and even speaks it to a degree, she makes frybread and knows how to weave. So she is okay in this department. I on the other hand know absolutely nothing. I want that to change. I want to be able to teach my kids "the ways." So keeping this in mind, I bought a rifle, I am going to teach myself how to hunt, track and skin an animal and then eventually going to take my son and daughter and teach them. That is the first step, the next step will be to learn how to sing. I will get a drum(s), learn some songs and teach my kids how to sing. I just got to thinking, I am two days away from graduating with my BA. but I have yet to start my other education. One that is just as important. So I am making plans on doing so, starting this week. I hope it goes well, and for those of you who are reading this (probably my mom and Romero) I will let you know how things work out. Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment